1. Always spend your biggest money on the classics, in both styling and Color.
2. Define your style and stick to it. Wear what you love; what makes you comfortable, what makes you feel expresses you. Stay true to this and the wardrobe will follow. Shop with the motto, love it or leave it.
3. Understand your body type and shop accordingly, learn what looks best and never compromise.
4. Don’t go on fishing expeditions, go but don’t buy unless it’s perfect.
5. Go to the stores you know have your styles and what works for you.
6. Look for color and fabric first, then silhouette, then size.
7. Think outfit, not item. Before buying the new items think about what other items it can be worn with. If you don’t have anything don’t buy it, it needs to go with at least three other things.
8. Get help from a professional stylist.
9. Insist on fit; otherwise take it to your alterations person. So factor in that cost always. Even your jeans can be altered
10. Buy the best you can afford. You don’t need a lot of stuff when you have the right stuff.
11. Vintage** Vintage can give you a unique look, but always try everything on
Sizes were different back then. Again, make sure it fits with your style and goes with other items you already have.
12. Make your larges purchase first, in other words, buy the suit or coat first then
If you want to be fashionable do it with accessories, or just a few items to add to your already “styled” wardrobe. When I do closet clean outs I see a lot of hang tags still on clothing in closets. Buying outside the box can be very costly. Stick to what suits you best for overall look, then go crazy with the accessories, jewelry, scarves, some handbags and shoes can really bring you the fashion your looking for.